Several of us heard from Mary Beth today via Facebook. She let me know that today was an awesome day of ministry in the Masaka orphanage and that she is doing really well, much better than earlier. I think she's getting used to the routine and more comfortable with the ministry. At this time, only the C trippers are there, so a small group of 20 seems to be easier to navigate than a larger group of 60.
She says the safari was good, but not worth the 17 hour bus ride! (?????) Sorta reminds me of David and my Grand Canyon trip from Vegas. Words cannot describe the splendor of the Canyon, but neither can they describe the 6 1/2 hour bus ride completed in 5 hours!
We told her not to step one little toe into any natural water (based on Nurse Nikki at Travel Health's graphic details of the microscopic snails that take less than 10 seconds to burrow into your skin and wreak utter havoc up to seven years later!), and she joyfully reported that the camp in Gulu had a concrete pool! So, she's gotten to swim in Africa.
I asked about the goat. Her only comment? Ya, well we saw it killed ... Needless to say, I am suspecting that Mary Beth is living largely off of peanut butter, rice and pineapples!
I must say that I am so pleased to read posts and messages from her that sound happy and adjusted! And, I am so appreciative of the reassuring messages I continue to receive at every turn. Today I went to the pharmacy and the new pharmacist (now an American citizen and US Army veteran) was originally from Cameroon, West Africa. He and I chatted a while, and he said something like, "You know, the Internet is not good in Africa all the time, but you should know she is well all the time".
Cool. God is good. So are people. God bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment